Tuesday 26 July 2011

My Top 10 Favourite Lip Balms!

Ok this is a bit different to my other blog posts, but that is because I can't wait to review the amazing hand cream I'm purchasing at the weekend! So I'm going to review my top favourite lip balms ever.


10. Palmers Dark Chocolate and Peppermint Lip Butter



I bought this a couple of years ago as I am a big lover of Palmers products.  It's clear, and the smell of mint isn't overpowering, but I used it more as a quick lip gloss rather than a lip balm as it didn't give great results. It's £2.75 at Boots though, if you have sensitive lips and love products that smell of chocolate!

9. Body Shop Wild Cherry Lip Butter

My best friend bought this before me, and the smell is heavenly. Immediately you want to buy buy buy, and because it's the Body Shop, you know you can trust them. The little pot is very sweet, easy to fit in pockets, and like a teeny version of the body butters. It does moisturise your lips lovely, but my only issue was using the teeny little tub with long fingernails. You can't flatten your fingertip onto it, so you end up kind of spatula-ing it out accidentally. Other than that, it's fantastic! You can get it for £4 from the Body Shop.

8. Vaseline Lip Therapy Rosy Lips

This is a product with an almighty record of trust under it's belt. Original Vaseline petroleum jelly has been around for donkeys years, and is a household brand, so it's understandable in saying that everyone should own one of these babies. This one gives you fab lip care, but also a teeny hint of pink. Perfect for on-the-go glam. Unlike the Body Shop Cherry Butter, this tin is flatter and wider, making it easier to apply. You can get this beauty for £1.99 in Boots, but also in leading supermarkets and chemists.

7. Lush Sweet Lips Lip Scrub

Bending the rules a bit here. This is a lip scrub yes, but it contains jojoba oil that softens your lips during use and acts as a fantastic therapy for lips craving love. All you do is moisten your lips a teeny bit, scrub it on, and the unusual bit is that it's literally just sugar, so you can lick it off if you so wish (or you can challenge yourself not to!).  It's vanilla and chocolate scented, and irresistible. Everyone I've introduced it to has loved it. A good product for those who need some extreme lip care. You can get this unique, little tub of love from Lush for £4.95.


6. Sanctuary Lip Balm
Initially, I bought this as a gift for my mum. She loved it, and so did all her friends. Firstly, the smell is really appealing. It's colourless, but has a pearly, glittery sheen. Fabulous. When applied, it gives an unexpected tingle, which means it's working. After all, Sanctuary are a top London spa organisation. In Covent Garden! I loved this product so much I bought some for myself shortly afterwards, and still have it handy when I leave the house for an intense lip rescue when I need it. You can grab this for £4.19 from Boots!


5. Lush Maple Taffy Lip Balm


I bought this at Christmas, and it was limited edition, so hopefully they will bring this out again this year, but it was still a worthy competitor as far as lip balms go. It's main ingredient is extra virgin coconut oil, and in English, that means 'moisture'. Coconut oil is trusted in reviving anything that needs hydration, you will find this in many hair conditioners designed for dry hair. To make you all feel better about the fact it's currently unavailable to purchase, the smell gave me a headache. (But it was a very pleasant smell! Who doesn't love the smell of syrup??)

4.Vaseline Lip Therapy with Cocoa Butter


The second appearance from Vaseline, this product I used religiously once upon a time. It's a superhero for softening your lips, and making them smell kissable at the same time. You don't need a lot of it for complete coverage, and it's very gentle too, so you can trust it to work, even in the harshest weathers. The tin sizes are very generous too, so it lasts ages. You can snap this up for £1.99 in Boots and leading supermarkets and chemists.

3. Blistex Cream

Not the most attractive packaging ever, or the best for convenience as it's ridiculously messy if you squeeze the tube just a tad too much. But it's medicated know-how makes it number 3 on this list. I have only ever used it for the odd occasion of seriously chapped lips, but you can also use it for cold sores and cracked lips. I also must say, you can't buy this if you are under 16 years of age. It is a medication. Which means you should consult your doctor before you use it if:
  • You have an underlying medical condition
  • Taking medication or complementary therapies, or symptoms persist.
  • If you're pregnant or breastfeeding.
  • If you're planning to become pregnant
  • If you're allergic to anything.
Also, do keep it out of reach of children, as it does contain ammonia. Please be careful! It may only be a lip cream but the warnings are there for a reason. 

Aside from all the warning signs, it's a fantastic solution for your chapped lips, especially in winter. The only downside is the smell, but if you're adventurous, Blistex now has a range of products, so try them out here!
 
2. Lush Honey Trap Lip Balm
A 3rd appearance from Lush! The thing I love about Lush products is that they are all vegetarian, and the vast majority of them are vegan friendly and are naturally/locally/ethically sourced? For instance, in Honey Trap lip balm. The honey comes from Bournemouth, England, and the Almond Oil (2nd most used ingredient in the balm) is all the way from sunny California, USA.

Another thing you'll love about Lush: They once were suppliers of fantastic, natural ingredients to none other than Anita Roddick, when she was creating what you'll know as The Body Shop today. Isn't that amazing? 

What is also really amazing about this company, is their dedication to fairness, equality and rights across the Earth. Check out what their ethical beliefs and campaigns are here. One of their products which clearly shows they want us to be a part of their ongoing care and support for others too, is Charity Pot, because when you spend £12.75 on a pot, it all goes to various charity organisations. They literally are just the biggest caring company that sells luxurious beauty products you'll come across at the moment. Grab this gorgeous balm for £5.25. You so know you want to now...

And the winner is...

1. Burts Bees Lip Balm

Did you see that coming after reading my previous reviews? Well if not, this is a miracle amongst sins. I had not lived until I had discovered this wonderful product. Even as I am writing this, I have the honey variety smothered all over my lips! It's packed to the brim of oils, essential fatty acids and vitamins, for the best, most nourishing and conditioning treat your lips will ever welcome. It's not greasy, it's available in a handy little tube or old-fashioned tin (element of choice makes me happy), smells amazing, and is £3.69. It's worth so much more than £3.69. I'd even consider this to be one of my 3 items if I was ever to choose 3 items to be on a desert island with. (That, sun cream, and a bottle o' rum). What is also tempting right now, is Burt's Bees latest release of lip balms: Tinted Lip Balms!. I'm incredibly attracted to the Honeysuckle and Tigerlily versions, watch this space..!

Lip balms I would not recommend:

Jelly Belly Blueberry Lip Balm

I feel guilty putting this here, as it was a late birthday gift from a friend of mine. (Abby, I owe you!). But although this smells great in the tub, when it's on your lips, it smells seriously manufactured. Also, it's very awkward to even get out of the tub, you need to warm it up slightly first. And even then, it doesn't provide any care for your lips. Disaster!

I Love....Chocolate and Oranges Lip Balm

I couldn't find an exact picture of it, but it's the small tub you see in the picture. I bought it for a £1. And for a £1, you wouldn't expect to be wowed, but the smell was really gorgeous. But to put a long story short, it dyes your fingers and lips a dark red colour, and doesn't work as a lip balm. Sad times.

Enjoy the good lip balms anyway!

No comments:

Post a Comment